Skip to Navigation ↓
Safety Driving Tips in School Zones
With children back in school, now is a good time to remind you about safety tips in a school zone.
- Look for school zones signals and obey the speed limits posted.
- Drivers in both directions must stop their vehicles and wait until the lights go off, the stop sign is back in place and the bus is moving before they can start driving again.
- Never pass a bus loading or unloading children.
- Unless licensed to do so, never use handicap or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop off or pick up children at school.
- Yield to pedestrians in cross walks, and take extra care in school zones.
- Avoid using a cellphone, unless it’s completely hand-free, while driving in a school zone.
- Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals.
- Never pass a vehicle stopping for pedestrians.
- 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children, stop far enough back to allow them to safely enter and exit the bus.
Keep these safety tips in mind when driving in a school zone.
Source: Property Casualty 360